Release Your Inner “Indiana Jones”
This tour is for those who really want to get off the beaten track and experience the true hidden gems of Bagan. This exploration includes many sites not listed on tourist maps and rarely visited. Includes small functioning monastery, cave and cliff meditation areas. Highlights include magnificent murals, sandstone carvings, high viewpoints and a temple dedicated to the family of the historical Buddha.Limited Availability
06:00 – 06:30: Meet at your Hotel in Bagan. Orientation and travel to less-crowded temple for sunrise balloon viewing.
06:30 – 07:30: Sunrise balloon viewing
07:30 – 10:30: Breakfast including fresh coffee/tea, fruit, and local pastries served on site.
Introduction to Buddhist philosophy, iconography, and meditation at our private pagoda. Introduction to Bagan’s historical context and rural village life within the Bagan monument zone. Learn about local agriculture and livelihoods of rainfed smallholder farms within the protected area.
10:00-10:30: journey to boat jetty in Old Bagan by horse cart or ebike
10:30-12:00: journey by boat to remote village location on the Irrawaddy.
12:00:13:30: lunch of grilled fish and vegetables in riverside mango grove.
13:30:17:00: visit remote sites and areas on foot, including many not listed on any map or guidebook. Amazing murals and panoramic views, visit to magical cave and cliff monastery. Fantastic photo opportunities.
17:00-18:30: return to Old Bagan by private sunset cruise, including cold drinks and fresh fruit. Alcoholic beverages and western apero available on board by request.
18:30-19:00: return journey to hotel by horse cart, ebike, or taxi
What to bring
- camera or smartphone
- slip-off shoes (sandals or flip-flops)
- Breakfast, bottled water, cold drinks, fruit
- Horse cart and driver (if desired)
- Private boat and staff (if desired)
- Bagan Archeological Zone entry fees
- Riverside barbeque lunch
- Wine, branded spirits on boat or at riverside (by advance request, extra charges apply)
- European apéro (fresh bread, cheese, olives)
- Guest photo shoots for print and social media
- Photographer’s permits and assistants
- Nikon DSLR camera rental
- GoPro Hero action camera rental
- Manfrotto carbon tripod (included in photography workshops, classes, and private photo tours)